el morro

Puerto Rico – Island of Enchantment

Puerto Rico – Island of Enchantment Puerto Rico: The incredible geographic diversity, the rich and colorful history and the warm hospitality of Puerto Rico make the Island a unique place in the world. Our natural attractions are certainly breathtaking. The island of Puerto Rico is famous for its white sand beaches, bathed by a crystalline and colorful sea that moves between light blue and emerald green. Our island is a paradise for those who enjoy

Read More | Lea Mas

flores adjuntas

Adjuntas, Puerto Rico

Adjuntas, Puerto Rico – City of the Sleeping Giant Foundation: Adjuntas (ahd-HOON-tahs ) was founded August 11, 1815, by Don Diego Maldonado. The name Adjuntas (literally: adjunct, joined) is derived from “joined land” because it was part of the Villa of San Blás de Illescas territory, today known as Coamo. Since the early years of the XIX century, a conglomerate of twenty families existed in this valley; a place known as “Calle de Canas”. Don

Read More | Lea Mas

bisco

Aguada, Puerto Rico

Aguada, Puerto Rico – Sotomayor’s Villa Foundation: About three hundred years ago on September 17, 1692, King Carlos II of Spain issued a Royal Certificate causing five small villages to ascend to the category of Collective Parish, each with a First Lieutenant. These villages were: Aguada (ah-GWAH-dah), Ponce, Arecibo, Coamo and Loíza. The honor of the position of First Lieutenant for Aguada was given to Mr. Juan López de Segura. The historical data indicates that

Read More | Lea Mas

aguadilla las ruinas

Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Aguadilla, Puerto Rico – The Water Hole Villa Foundation: Don Luis de Córdova founded Aguadilla (ah-gwah-DEE-yah) in 1775 when it was separated from Aguada. At the beginning it had three main streets and a small population. Aguadilla is also known as the “La Villa del Ojo del Agua” (The Water Hole Villa), “El Pueblo de los Tiburones” (Town of the Sharks), and recently “El Nuevo Jardín del Atlántico” (The New Garden of the Atlantic). The

Read More | Lea Mas

orquidea

Aguas Buenas, Puerto Rico

Aguas Buenas, Puerto Rico – City Of Clear Waters Foundation: Aguas Buenas was originally a sector of the Municipality of Caguas, which was known as Aguabuena (Good Water). This territory had as assets springs of pure and crystalline waters. During 1798, a group of neighbors began to settle their homes near to one of these springs and decided to call to the sector Aguas Claras (Clear Waters). The number of neighbors (residents of the zone)

Read More | Lea Mas

aibonito flor

Aibonito, Puerto Rico

Aibonito, Puerto Rico – City Of Flowers Foundation: Don Manuel Vélez founded Aibonito on March 13, 1824. Aibonito (ei-bo-NEE-to) is derived from the Taíno Jatibonuco language which means “river at night”. This territory once belonged to the Villa de Coamo and was known as Laybonito, later Aybonito and finally Aibonito. A legend also says that the name “Aibonito” is derived from the story of a Spanish musketeer admiring the Asomante Mountain and inspired by the

Read More | Lea Mas

anasco playa

Añasco, Puerto Rico

Añasco, Puerto Rico – Where The Gods Die Foundation: Don Luis de Añasco (ah-NYAHS-ko) founded the city of Añasco 1733. Juan Ponce de León sent him to this region to surpress a revolt by the Taíno Cacique Chayoán. The revolt arose after Cacique Chayoán ordered the drowning of Diego Salcedo in the Río Grande de Añasco river (called by the Taínos, Gurabo River), verifying that the Spaniards were not Gods but, instead, mortals. That is

Read More | Lea Mas

Arecibo lighthouse

Arecibo, Puerto Rico

Arecibo, Puerto Rico – Captain Correa Villa Foundation: Arecibo (ah-re-SEE-boh) has existed as a population nucleus since the early years of the sixteenth century (1533). In the year 1570 the Taino Indians entrusted the land to the Spaniards who began to live in the village. According to history, the name Arecibo comes from an Indian Chief named Arazibo. The historian, Francisco M. Cadilla, doubts this assertion as he mentions in his book, “Los Ochonentistas,” based

Read More | Lea Mas

arroyo lighthouse

Arroyo, Puerto Rico

Arroyo, Puerto Rico – The Pleasing Town Foundation: According to documents of the Departamento de Obras Públicas de Puerto Rico it was in 1855 when the jurisdictional limits between Guayama and Arroyo (ah-RO-yo) were established. However, the newspaper Gaceta de Puerto Rico published in 1868 says that Arroyo was founded in 1852. In 1859 the City Council adopted an agreement to open streets; then a year later the construction of the plaza and a culvert

Read More | Lea Mas

Barceloneta

Barceloneta, Puerto Rico

Barceloneta, Puerto Rico – Industrial City Foundation: Among the youngest towns of the island, the city of Barceloneta was founded the July 1, 1881. It was one of the last municipalities created by the Spanish government in Puerto Rico. Its founder was Don Bonocio Lenza Feliú. Barceloneta was named in honor of Barcelona (city of Spain) where the founder was born. Thirteen years after its foundation it experienced great agricultural and industrial development with 3

Read More | Lea Mas

barranquitas tienda

Barranquitas, Puerto Rico

Barranquitas, Puerto Rico – Home of Notable Citizens Foundation: Barranquitas’ (bahr-rahn-KEE-tahs) name is derived from its muddy terrain. During the XIX century Comerío, Hato Puerto, Aibonito, Jatibonico, Orocovis and Los Barros became towns or parties, Barranquitas being one of first in 1803. During the first years of the XVI century (1508), it was necessary to unite the south of the island with the north with a route crossing the center of the island. At the

Read More | Lea Mas

bayamon marino

Bayamón, Puerto Rico

Bayamón, Puerto Rico – Pork Ring City Foundation: Bayamón (bah-yah-MON) belonged to San Juan before being founded. A legend exists that its name is derived from a Indian chief called Bayamón, who dominated the region. Bayamón was founded in the year 1772, by don Mario A. Rodríguez León. Before Bayamón had streets, communication with San Juan was by river. One boarded a boat at the wharf, traveled through Palo Seco Bay to San Juan. Then

Read More | Lea Mas

cabo rojo faro

Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico

Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico – Cofresí’s Town Foundation: Cabo Rojo (KAH-bo, ro-ho) derives its name from Christopher Columbus’ companions during his second voyage to the Americas. During this trip the Admiral discovered Puerto Rico. While trying to to round the southeastern end of the island the crew observed the reddish color of the terrain of that zone (well known today as Los Morrillos) and named it “Cabos Rojos”. Nevertheless the Spaniards were not the first

Read More | Lea Mas

Casa Alcaldia

Caguas, Puerto Rico

Caguas, Puerto Rico – City of the Turabo Foundation: Caguas (KAH-gwahs) was founded in 1775. In 1820 it received the title of Villa and in 1894 the title of City. Originally known as San Sebastián del Piñal de Caguax. The name is derived from the Indian Chief Caguax, a legendary Indian chief who reigned in these lands during the decline of the Taino civilization and faced the Spanish conquerors with brave resistance. Soon after he

Read More | Lea Mas

camuy piedra

Camuy, Puerto Rico

Camuy, Puerto Rico – Romantic City Foundation: Camuy (kahm-WEE) was founded in the year 1807 by Petrolina Matos. It was officially separated from Quebradillas in 1894. Three legends support the origin of the name: the first says that there was a Taino chief by the name of “Yumac” but with the passing of time the name was spelled backwards calling the region “Camuy”; the second refers to the Taino word “canuy,” which means beautiful scenery,

Read More | Lea Mas

canovanas alcaldia

Canóvanas, Puerto Rico

Canóvanas, Puerto Rico – Valiant Town Fundación: Founded in 1910 by Luis Hernaíz Veronne, it wasn’t until 1970 that it officially became a municipality. The name Canóvanas (kah-NO-vah-nahs) is derived from the Taíno Chief, Canóbana, who ruled the margins of the Grande de Loíza river, then called Cairabón or Cayniabón. Miguel Diaz was given charge of Canóbana and apparently Canóbana did not participate in the uprising of the indigenous people. Canóvanas is known as the

Read More | Lea Mas

carolina aeropuerto

Carolina, Puerto Rico

Carolina, Puerto Rico – Land of Giants Foundation: Carolina (kah-ro-LEE-nah) was founded by Lorenzo Vizcarrondo under Governor and Commander in Chief Don Fernando de Costoñer, January 31, 1857. Its original name was Trujillo Bajo. It is known that Don Gaspar Martinez donated the land to establish the municipality, but requested that the city be named in honor of his daughter Carolina de San Juan. Carolina is also known as “Tierra De Gigantes” (Land Of Giants),

Read More | Lea Mas

barcardi

Cataño, Puerto Rico

Cataño, Puerto Rico – The Town That Refused To Die Foundation: Cataño (kah-TAH-no) was founded in 1927. It covers only five square miles making it the smallest municipality of the island. Cataño was a district of the municipality of Bayamón until July 1, 1927, when by virtue of law No. 30 leaders approved that April 25 of that year it was to be constituted as a municipality. The origin of the name comes in honor

Read More | Lea Mas

cayey

Cayey, Puerto Rico

Cayey, Puerto Rico – Mist City Foundation: Cayey (kei-YAI) history goes back to an Indian village called Toíta on the borders of the river Río La Plata. It was mentioned for the first time in 1519 and later in 1532 at the settlement of Juan González, in 1645 by Bishop Fray Damián López de Haro, in 1757 in two baptism records, and in 1765 within a document with instructions to the governor. The name was

Read More | Lea Mas

ceiba arbol

Ceiba, Puerto Rico

Ceiba, Puerto Rico – Soup Eaters Foundation: Luis de la Cruz founded Ceiba (sai-EE-bah) on April 7, 1838. The name derives from the Taíno word “seyba”, a native tree of Puerto Rico “ceiba pentandra”. It is admired because of its powerful architectural grayish trunk, which has thorns. Its roots can extend for miles. There was the belief that at some time there was a forest of these trees and for that reason the town was

Read More | Lea Mas