Adjuntas, Puerto Rico – City of the Sleeping Giant Foundation: Adjuntas (ahd-HOON-tahs ) was founded August 11, 1815, by Don Diego Maldonado. The name Adjuntas (literally: adjunct, joined) is derived from “joined land” because it was part of the Villa of San Blás de Illescas territory, today known as Coamo. Since the early years of the XIX century, a conglomerate of twenty families existed in this valley; a place known as “Calle de Canas”. Don
Aguas Buenas, Puerto Rico – City Of Clear Waters Foundation: Aguas Buenas was originally a sector of the Municipality of Caguas, which was known as Aguabuena (Good Water). This territory had as assets springs of pure and crystalline waters. During 1798, a group of neighbors began to settle their homes near to one of these springs and decided to call to the sector Aguas Claras (Clear Waters). The number of neighbors (residents of the zone)
Aibonito, Puerto Rico – City Of Flowers Foundation: Don Manuel Vélez founded Aibonito on March 13, 1824. Aibonito (ei-bo-NEE-to) is derived from the Taíno Jatibonuco language which means “river at night”. This territory once belonged to the Villa de Coamo and was known as Laybonito, later Aybonito and finally Aibonito. A legend also says that the name “Aibonito” is derived from the story of a Spanish musketeer admiring the Asomante Mountain and inspired by the
Arecibo, Puerto Rico – Captain Correa Villa Foundation: Arecibo (ah-re-SEE-boh) has existed as a population nucleus since the early years of the sixteenth century (1533). In the year 1570 the Taino Indians entrusted the land to the Spaniards who began to live in the village. According to history, the name Arecibo comes from an Indian Chief named Arazibo. The historian, Francisco M. Cadilla, doubts this assertion as he mentions in his book, “Los Ochonentistas,” based
Arroyo, Puerto Rico – The Pleasing Town Foundation: According to documents of the Departamento de Obras Públicas de Puerto Rico it was in 1855 when the jurisdictional limits between Guayama and Arroyo (ah-RO-yo) were established. However, the newspaper Gaceta de Puerto Rico published in 1868 says that Arroyo was founded in 1852. In 1859 the City Council adopted an agreement to open streets; then a year later the construction of the plaza and a culvert
Barranquitas, Puerto Rico – Home of Notable Citizens Foundation: Barranquitas’ (bahr-rahn-KEE-tahs) name is derived from its muddy terrain. During the XIX century Comerío, Hato Puerto, Aibonito, Jatibonico, Orocovis and Los Barros became towns or parties, Barranquitas being one of first in 1803. During the first years of the XVI century (1508), it was necessary to unite the south of the island with the north with a route crossing the center of the island. At the
Caguas, Puerto Rico – City of the Turabo Foundation: Caguas (KAH-gwahs) was founded in 1775. In 1820 it received the title of Villa and in 1894 the title of City. Originally known as San Sebastián del Piñal de Caguax. The name is derived from the Indian Chief Caguax, a legendary Indian chief who reigned in these lands during the decline of the Taino civilization and faced the Spanish conquerors with brave resistance. Soon after he
Cayey, Puerto Rico – Mist City Foundation: Cayey’s (kei-YAI) history goes back to an Indian village called Toíta on the borders of the river Río La Plata. It was mentioned for the first time in 1519 and later in 1532 at the settlement of Juan González, in 1645 by Bishop Fray Damián López de Haro, in 1757 in two baptism records, and in 1765 within a document with instructions to the governor. The name was
Ciales, Puerto Rico – The Cojoba City Foundation: Ciales (see-AH-les) was founded the 24 of June of year 1820. Before its foundation it had been a district of Manatí. It took the name of Lacy in the beginning, a military hero who stood out in the War of Independence that freed Spain from France. Two other theories are proposed for the origin of this name: the nationalist poet Juan Antonio Corretjer says that its origin
Cidra, Puerto Rico – Town of The Eternal Spring Foundation: Cidra (SEE-drah) was a district of Cayey until 1809, the year in which the inhabitants obtained the foundation of the municipality. It is not known with certainty who was the person who donated land, but there is data that indicates that an old proprietor of the locality yielded the land without demanding payment. In the Mayorship there are no official documents on the matter because
Comerío, Puerto Rico – The Pearl of The Plata Foundation: Comerío (ko-me-REE-o) was founded June 12, 1826. It was originally founded with the name Sabana del Palmar (Palm Savannah), because of the abundance of palms that existed in the area. From the beginning of the XIX century a desire existed between the neighbors of the districts of Bayamón, Cidra and Barranquitas, to become independent from their respective parties and to constitute a new municipality. In
Jayuya, Puerto Rico – Town of The Three Peaks Foundation: Jayuya was (hah-YOO-yah) founded in 1911 and is located in the central part of the island, in the northern border of the Toro Negro Forest Reserve, a 7,000 acres park that includes the Cerro Puntas, the highest mountain of Puerto Rico. The city derives its name from Hayuya, head Indian of the Taínos. The Jayuyanos take great pride in their cultural roots of the region.
Lares, Puerto Rico – The City Of The Revolt Foundation: The name Lares (LAH-res) is derived from the Basque names “laris” or “lariz” determined by the presence in the region of don Amador Lariz, a colonizer of the sixteeth century that owned a ranch in the area. On April 26, 1827, Governor La Torre approved a request to separate Lares from San Sebastián. The first mayor was Juan Francisco de Sotomayor, one of the founders
Las Marías, Puerto Rico – Town Of The Sweet Orange Foundation: Populating Las Marías (lahs mah-REE-yahs) began late in the history of the island because of difficulties in building roads in this region. The lack of roads made cattle operations difficult, which were the origin of almost all the local economies. Its foundation was carried out by Canaries and Majorcans. Las Maríaswas a ward of its capital San Sebastián, which was at a great distance.
Maricao, Puerto Rico – Town of Indian Settlements Foundation: Maricao (mah-ree-KOU) was founded April 10, 1874 by Bernardo Collado, Julián Ayala, Francisco M. Sojo, Napoleón Pietri and Leoncio S. Martínez who requested authorization from the Provincial Delegation to found a town at the site of Maricao for these reasons: the almost impassable long roads to San Germán, and the vain hope of improvement by the nature of the distance that separated them from the Villa
Naranjito, Puerto Rico – The Town of Colors Foundation: Naranjito’s (nah-rahn-HEE-to) struggle to become a municipality began in 1810. After many setbacks with the rich and powerful interests of the era, authorization was obtained to found the town on December 3, 1824. This town was founded in 1824 after being separated from Toa Alta. With official, civil and religious documents from Toa Alta in their possession, the inhabitants of seven wards were empowered to demand
Orocovis, Puerto Rico – Heart of Puerto Rico Foundation: Before its foundation, Orocovis, with approximately 75 families (o-ro-KO-vis) was a ward (Barros) of Barranquitas. After the beginning of the last century the neighbors had made arrangements to found a town separate from the head of district. On May 25, 1825 the population empowered Don Juan de Rivera Santiago to request from the governing authorities approval to found a population center on the site of Barros.
Utuado, Puerto Rico – City of the Viví Foundation: Before the discovery of the Island, Utuado (oo-too-AH-do), had been populated by diverse indigenous cultures. The main groups were: the archaic, igneris, sub-taínos and finally during twelvth century, the Taínos. Utuado’s name derives from Cacique (Chief) Otoao which means “between mountains”. In 1512, several landowners had settled there, among them Blas de Villasante and Antonio Cedeño. Both wanted to found a town on their estates, but