Banos de Coamo

Coamo, Puerto Rico

Coamo, Puerto Rico – San Blas de Illescas’ Villa Foundation: The name Coamo (ko-AH-mo) is derived from the Taíno word, which means extensive valley. In 1519 the construction of the town began with the name San Blas de Illescas. It was officially founded July 15, 1570, making it one of the oldest cities in the island after San Juan and San Germán. Bishop Diego de Salamanca was granted permission to establish a church in Coamo

Read More | Lea Mas

guayama plaza

Guayama, Puerto Rico

Guayama, Puerto Rico – Town of Wizards Foundation: Matías de Abadía founded Guayama (gwah-YAH-mah) in 1736. Its name is of Taino origin and derived from the region where Cacique Guanamí and Cacique Guayama lived, guayama means “great site”. The town is known as El Pueblo de los Brujos (Town of Wizards) in honor of “Moncho el Brujo” (Moncho the Wizard), a legendary baseball pitcher from Guayama. Location: Located in the southern coast, its bordered by:

Read More | Lea Mas

guayanilla playa ventana

Guayanilla, Puerto Rico

Guayanilla, Puerto Rico – Agüeybaná’s Land Foundation: The origins of Guayanilla (gwah-yah-NEE-yah) goes back to 1756 when Yauco was founded as a town. Guayanilla was then a ward of Yauco. Guayanilla was growing quickly because of its location in very fertile lands and also had the port where all local commerce was being carried out. Because of the fertile lands and the port, Guayanilla became an important progressive agricultural center. Guayanilla was officially founded by

Read More | Lea Mas

el tablado

Juana Díaz, Puerto Rico

Juana Díaz, Puerto Rico – Mabí City Foundation: Located along the shores of the historic Jacaguas river, Juana Díaz (HWAH-nah DEE ahz) started its life as a village in 1592, according to Fray Iñigo Abad y Lasierra. At that time no private property existed as such but farms were authorized by royal decree from the governing body in Coamo. Before 1582, this region was frequently attacked by fierce local Carribean indians known as the Caribe

Read More | Lea Mas

penuela _flamboyan

Peñuelas, Puerto Rico

Peñuelas, Puerto Rico – Valley of the Flame Trees Foundation: Peñuelas (PAIN-wai-lahs) was founded by Diego de Alvarado. In 1745 a group of peasants settled in basin of the Guayanés river with intentions to cultivate de valley. This group increased gradually, and by 1788 there were about 80 families that cultivated the land and raised cattle. Due to the great amount of contraband in the “Tallaboa Port”, pirates, and all sorts of crime, the inhabitants

Read More | Lea Mas

ponce bombas

Ponce, Puerto Rico

Ponce, Puerto Rico – Pearl of the South Foundation: Ponce’s (PON-sai) historical importance goes back to the migratory period of the clans and pre-Columbian groups (archaic, ingeris, pre-Taíno and Taíno) . These settled in the southwestern region of the country (between Ponce and Cabo Rojo) and founded the chieftainship of Guainía. The chief of this territory was Agüeybaná that, according to the chroniclers of the era was the chief of greatest authority in the Island.

Read More | Lea Mas

salinas casagrande

Salinas, Puerto Rico

Salinas, Puerto Rico – Town of the Islander Dip Foundation: Salinas (sah-LEE-nahs) was founded in 1851. The name is dereived from its great and abundant knolls of salt in its coasts. In 1842 the settlers of the area united to obtain authorization to found the town and to distribute the expenses neede to construct the necessary municipal works. On July 15, 1847 a Royal Order dictated that Salinas be segregated from Coamo and be added

Read More | Lea Mas

santa isabel

Santa Isabel, Puerto Rico

Santa Isabel, Puerto Rico – Land of Champions Foundation: Santa Isabel (SAHN-tah ee-sah-BEL), was founded October 5, 1842. On May 22, 1840 Antonio Vélez in name of the neighbors asked governor Santiago Méndez Vigo authorization to found a separated town from Coamo. This was justified, as usual, by the distance from the municipal head in Coamo and by the difficulties of the numerous passages of the river and the conditions of the roads. The necesary

Read More | Lea Mas

villalba

Villalba, Puerto Rico

Villalba, Puerto Rico – City of the Advancers Foundation: Before the official foundation of Villalba (vee-YAHL-bah), it was a ward of the town of Juana Díaz, as well, it had been a ward of Coamo until 1798. In 1846, the geographic jurisdiction of Juana Diaz constituted the districts: Río Cañas Arriba, Río Cañas Abajo, Guayabal, Lomas, Sabana Llana, Capitanejo, Jacaguas, Cayabo, Collores, Tijeras, Hato Puerco Arriba, Hato Puerco Abajo, Caonillas Arriba, Caonillas Abajo, Villalba Arriba

Read More | Lea Mas

yauco cafe

Yauco, Puerto Rico

Yauco, Puerto Rico – Land of Coffee Foundation: Yauco (YOU-ko), its etymological root comes from yucca. It was the well-known southeastern region known as Coayuco. This town already existed as a indigenous community long before the discovery of Puerto Rico. Yauco was the indigenous capital of the island of Borikén. Juan Ponce de León arrived to the island to explore and colonize it in 1508, entering thru the Guánica Bay. He went to the Coayuco

Read More | Lea Mas