bisco

Aguada, Puerto Rico

Aguada, Puerto Rico – Sotomayor’s Villa Foundation: About three hundred years ago on September 17, 1692, King Carlos II of Spain issued a Royal Certificate causing five small villages to ascend to the category of Collective Parish, each with a First Lieutenant. These villages were: Aguada (ah-GWAH-dah), Ponce, Arecibo, Coamo and Loíza. The honor of the position of First Lieutenant for Aguada was given to Mr. Juan López de Segura. The historical data indicates that

Read More | Lea Mas

aguadilla las ruinas

Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Aguadilla, Puerto Rico – The Water Hole Villa Foundation: Don Luis de Córdova founded Aguadilla (ah-gwah-DEE-yah) in 1775 when it was separated from Aguada. At the beginning it had three main streets and a small population. Aguadilla is also known as the “La Villa del Ojo del Agua” (The Water Hole Villa), “El Pueblo de los Tiburones” (Town of the Sharks), and recently “El Nuevo Jardín del Atlántico” (The New Garden of the Atlantic). The

Read More | Lea Mas

anasco playa

Añasco, Puerto Rico

Añasco, Puerto Rico – Where The Gods Die Foundation: Don Luis de Añasco (ah-NYAHS-ko) founded the city of Añasco 1733. Juan Ponce de León sent him to this region to surpress a revolt by the Taíno Cacique Chayoán. The revolt arose after Cacique Chayoán ordered the drowning of Diego Salcedo in the Río Grande de Añasco river (called by the Taínos, Gurabo River), verifying that the Spaniards were not Gods but, instead, mortals. That is

Read More | Lea Mas

cabo rojo faro

Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico

Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico – Cofresí’s Town Foundation: Cabo Rojo (KAH-bo, ro-ho) derives its name from Christopher Columbus’ companions during his second voyage to the Americas. During this trip the Admiral discovered Puerto Rico. While trying to to round the southeastern end of the island the crew observed the reddish color of the terrain of that zone (well known today as Los Morrillos) and named it “Cabos Rojos”. Nevertheless the Spaniards were not the first

Read More | Lea Mas

El Faro Viejo

Guánica, Puerto Rico

Guánica, Puerto Rico – Friendship City Foundation: Guánica (GWAH-nee-kah) was founded in 1914. In 1906 started eight years of intense civic fight in which the “Guaniqueños Segreguistas” (Guanica Segregationists) knocked on all doors and took their case to all the newspaper columns of the country, convincing the delegate to the Camera (Governing Body), Don Carlos A. Del Rosario, to initiate a project endorsed both by Union Delegates and by Republican Delegates who composed the Camera

Read More | Lea Mas

hormigueros

Hormigueros, Puerto Rico

Hormigueros, Puerto Rico – Town of Our Lady of Monserrate Foundation: The translated name Hormigueros (or-mee-GAI-ros) means “anthills”, but in this case it will be referred to as “ant trails” represented by the multitudes (true human ant trials) that visit the sanctuary from all points of the island every September 8 for the annual festivity of Our Lady of Monserrate. It is said that the name derives from the Taíno word “Horomico” that is claimed

Read More | Lea Mas

isla mona

Mona Island, Puerto Rico

Mona Island, Puerto Rico – Amoná History: Man’s activity began in Mona Island, at least a thousand years ago, with the arrival of the Araucan Indians, who came from the east, and settled in the Island’s caverns, where they left vestiges of their presence. They called the Island “Amoná”. They fed on fish, turtles, crustaceans, crabs, iguanas, small lizards, and birds. In addition, they possibly cultivated casabe and sweet potato in the coastal valleys and

Read More | Lea Mas

La Parguera

Lajas, Puerto Rico

Lajas, Puerto Rico – Cardinality City Foundation: During second half of VXIII century, a community of neighbors lived in the territory that today is known as the municipality of Lajas (LAH-huz) . At the time the wards that composed the municipality of Lajas were part of the municipality of San Germán. In 1808 the Town Hall of San Germán named Don Teodoro Jácome Pagán, Mayor of the Brotherhood, and in 1810, Mayor of the Village

Read More | Lea Mas

mayaguez estatua

Mayagüez, Puerto Rico

Mayagüez, Puerto Rico – Sultan of the West Foundation: Mayagüez (mah-yah-GWES) was founded in 1760 by don Faustino Martínez de Matos, Juan de Silva and Juan de Aponte. In 1772 it had 50 houses, 419 families and 1,800 inhabitants. Its development was slow and its economy depended almost exclusively on agriculture. The town simultaneously developed in two areas: the town in the “high lands” and at the seaside. The port was an important point of

Read More | Lea Mas

moca flor

Moca, Puerto Rico

Moca, Puerto Rico – The Mundillo Lace Capital Foundation: On April 7, 1772, Don Jose de Quiñones appeared before the Governor Don Miguel de Muesas, with a power of 71 neighbors, requesting permission to found town and church. After having fulfilled the requirements of recognition, delineation, granting of finances and insurance of rent for the priest and thanks to Candida Vives who donated the lands of Moca, the town was developed. Moca was officially founded

Read More | Lea Mas

rincon faro

Rincón, Puerto Rico

Rincón, Puerto Rico – Town of Beautiful Sunsets Foundation: Rincón (ring-KON) was founded in 1770. It was known formerly as Santa Rosa de Rincón. It is said that the name comes from Don González Rincón that was owner of the land. Rincón has been receiving visitors since 1770, although many believe that Columbus made a brief visit in 1493. The local legend mentions Pirate Cofresí and his hidden treasure, that could be still buried in

Read More | Lea Mas

sabanagrande palma

Sabana Grande, Puerto Rico

Sabana Grande, Puerto Rico – Town of Prodigies Foundation: Sabana Grande (sah-BAH-nah GRAHN-de), in its origins was a ward of the municipality of San Germán. It’s name is derived from the extensive savannah (sabana) that occupies the southern region. Distant from head of the district, San Germán, the residents of this territory, under the tutelage of San Isidro Labrador and Santa María de la Cabeza, managed to erect a church before 1808 that was auxiliary

Read More | Lea Mas

sangerman coeli

San Germán, Puerto Rico

San Germán, Puerto Rico – The City of Hills Foundation: San Germán (sahn her-MAHN), was founded May 12, 1570 in the Hills of Santa Marta, although the transfer wasn’t completed until 1573. Rodrigo Ortíz Vélez is credited with its founding. Don Diego Colón named the town to honor Germana de Foix, a Navarrese-French princess who was King Fernando the Catholic’s second wife. Numerous Taínos native tribes existed in all of San Germán’s territory. According to

Read More | Lea Mas